Published four times a year by the Charity Commission, CC News is a really important tool for trustees, their advisers and potential trustees.
Resource packs from ICAEW on the duties of charity trustees, the role of honorary treasurers and charity fraud.
Young, Gifted....And a Charity Trustee? - Survey conducted online in July 2013 by Nicholas Fryer, a Charityworks graduate programme participant.
A Breath of Fresh Air: Young People as Charity Trustees - Report from the Charity Commission
- There was a clear demand for trustees among a large proportion of survey respondents, with around a third (34%) stating they were seeking to recruit.
- Trustees were commonly recruited from organisations’ existing staff, volunteers or members (53%), with 46% of respondents enlisting trustees via personal connections and 39% by word of mouth.
- Only 10% of respondents advertised vacancies online, and 6% in the press.
- 41% of respondents claimed their trustees had sought support from another charity operating in a similar field. This was second only to the Charity Commission (44%).
Week 1: Trustee
Week 2: Treasurer
Week 3: Chair
Sample Interview Questions to be used when recruiting board members
* Reach Volunteering
A charity dedicated to helping the third sector thrive. Reach’s TrusteeWorks service has placed more than 1000 trustees, offering everything from a free entry level service through to executive recruitment for harder-to-fill positions.
* Charity PeopleCharity People's SMaRTprogramme, launched in 2011, brings in senior executives from some of the most prestigious UK companies, interested in acting as Trustees, expert volunteers and mentors in the sector. It provides a matching service for these organisations to ensure a strong fit between candidate and charity. This gives users free access to a source of highly talented, successful individuals keen to become Trustees.
Alongside the free SMaRTprogramme, Charity People offers specialist recruitment services. They can provide advice on Board make-up, develop a sourcing strategy and provide research and head hunting capabilities and selection support through assessment centres and structured interviews.
Offers a range of trustee recruitment services and recruits for positions within the not-for-profit and third sector.
* Good People
Works with progressive organisations and leading brands to design, develop and scale game-changing social ventures.
A joint venture between Bates, Wells & Braithwaite, the National Council for Voluntary and Community Organisations (NCVO), and Russam GMS. Works to match people with roles including charity trustees, directors and volunteers.
Burton Sweet, Bristol-based chartered accountants and business advisers, provide some information on Finding Trustees below:
GWE Business West One of the leading not-for-profit business organisations in the West of England (part of the National Federation of Business Networks) it offers a major programme of networking and social events, many open to non-members. Many member businesses encourage their staff to contribute to society in voluntary roles in their spare time. See www.gwebusinesswest.co.uk